- Degree duration: 4 years (full-time)
- DIME Detroit Phone:(313) 223-1600
- DIME Detroit Email: email@example.com
The Metropolitan State University of Denver and DIME Detroit partnership enables students to take MSU Denver courses at DIME Detroit. As an MSU Denver student, you will pursue a Bachelors of Arts in Individualized Studies: Music Industry Studies. DIME Detroit functions as an extended campus of MSU Denver, where students pursue BA’s in Individualized Studies with concentrations in commercial music performance, commercial songwriting, and music industry studies.
The BA in Individualized Studies offered by MSU Denver at DIME Detroit is a liberal arts degree in which music and general studies content is integrated throughout all coursework. Students are exposed to a broad curriculum that includes studies in history, the arts and humanities, and the sciences. Music is integrated into general studies courses, and the liberal arts are integrated into music courses throughout the degree program.
Detroit Institute of Music Education is a music institute that is custom built for serious musicians who desire a long-term, professional career in commercial music. Courses offered by MSU Denver at DIME Detroit are designed to build strong musical and academic foundations, which allow students to seize opportunities for long and sustained careers in the music industry.
This degree equips the aspiring music entrepreneur with the knowledge and skills needed to function effectively in the fast-changing landscape of the music industry. The degree aims to develop critical, contextually and culturally aware practitioners through the production of a mature body of work.
Under the guidance of today’s working professionals, the degree provides you with essential information on the functionality of the industry and how to create and exploit multiple income streams for both the new and established artist. Free-thinking and individuality are encouraged and students can choose areas of specialism within the parameters of the degree.
The intensive nature of the degree enables learners to become skilled practitioners and provides the freedom for them to develop their own unique and innovative methods of working. On completion of the degree, you will have built up a varied portfolio and will be equipped to identify, create and respond to the many career opportunities that exist in the ever-evolving music landscape.
MSU Denver at DIME Detroit degrees are offered as a full-time program, which enables you to complete your studies in four years.
- MSU Denver at DIME Detroit faculty are world class artists and educators, active in the music industry and educational practice.
- Direct engagement with the industry through project-based work.
- Students are guided and encouraged to develop their own individual area(s) of expertise.
- Collaboration within a broader musical community; your regular interaction with peers and faculty groups is enhanced by live events and other extra-curricular activities including: masterclasses, private tutorial sessions, End of Term Shows, regular Open House events, and one-off events in which DIME partners with local musicians and organizations.
How are the courses taught?
The teaching strategies deployed within the degree program seek to reflect and apply the educational philosophy of MSU Denver and DIME, and the rationale, aims and learning outcomes of the course. The intention is to engage the active participation of a committed group of academic and technical staff and students. Students at MSU Denver at DIME Detroit will benefit from the following modes of teaching:
- Group lectures within the institute environment, where all students will learn in groups regardless of their individual specialism.
- Specialist lectures within the institute environment, where students will learn in specialist specific groups.
- Weekly lectures with instruction by world-class industry professionals who have vast experience in the music industry.
- Regular One-To-One Tutorial Guidance from the MSU Denver at DIME Detroit Campus Manager, DIME Head of Education, your Head of Department, MSU Faculty, and DIME Learner Experience Administrator on matters relating to the course, musical performance, career planning and student care.
- Exclusive Masterclasses from renowned artists, educators and industry professionals. Click here to check out some of our past guests.
What you’ll do
For more information, visit MSU Denver’s website or explore the courses by clicking on the sections below:
Year 1: Semester 1
Year 1: Semester 2
Year 2: Semester 1
Year 2: Semester 2
Year 3: Semester 1
Year 3: Semester 2
Year 4: Semester 1
Year 4: Semester 2
Throughout your studies with MSU Denver at DIME Detroit, you will come into contact with a range of artists, practitioners, educators, support personnel, and administrative staff. Your key contacts will be the MSU Denver at DIME Detroit Campus Manager, DIME Head of Education, DIME Learner Experience Administrator, your Head of Department, and MSU Denver faculty. You will enjoy regular contact with these people during your studies.
In addition, your education will be enhanced by input from a range of experts through masterclasses and their contribution to the design and writing of specific classes. Click here to see some of our previous guests.
The modes of assessment used in this degree program include:
- Portfolio of work
- Small in-lecture tasks (solo and group)
- Essays (critical, reflective, research-based)
- Case Studies
- Podcasts and digital media
- Project Presentation
- Project Documentation
In some cases, more than one mode of assessment will be used within a class to ensure that the learner can demonstrate that they have met all of the learning outcomes. The work produced for these assessments develops graduate outcomes required in employment, such as a high level of managerial and entrepreneurial competency, time management, written and oral communication, portfolio production, critical reflection, and team work. This is alongside self-motivation, independence, and creativity of thought.
MSU Denver at DIME Detroit and DIME are deeply committed to providing career advice and support. This starts in the recruitment of a roster of MSU Denver faculty who exemplify the values of a successful self-employed music professional in today’s music industry. MSU Denver at DIME Detroit courses and learning outcomes reflect the music business as it is today, and our commitment to degree development will ensure their currency in the future. MSU Denver students are encouraged throughout their studies to form realistic and achievable career goals; these will be underpinned by research and experience, providing a genuine understanding of the structure and operation within the industry. The philosophy is described as ‘designing your own professional life’ and you will see this theme recurring throughout the degree.
Further career opportunities/destinations may include, but are not limited to:
- Music Industry Employee within a variety of companies, such as: Recording, Music Publishing, Live Agency, Artist/DJ/Producer Management
- Music Entrepreneur
- Author of educational materials (e.g. books, DVDs, etc)
Further study opportunities include, but are not limited to:
- Graduate Study
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA)
- Masters of Arts (MA)
- Masters of Music (MM)
- (K-12) Teaching Certification – National Board Certification by the American Board for Certification of Teaching Excellence (ABCTE)